Hot Trends in Residential Landscape Design
What’s the hottest trend in residential landscape design, according to the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA)? Fire. Fire pits and fireplaces were the most requested design features in single-family and multifamily projects, followed closely by seating and dining areas. Somewhat of a surprise is a strong consumer interest in wireless connectivity and charging stations for outdoor areas. Apparently, the great outdoors is no escape from our high-tech reality these days.
Among the other top 10 projects requested:
- Native plants – 83.3%
- Native/adapted drought tolerant plants – 83.0%
- Low-maintenance landscapes – 80.0%
- Flexible use space (for yoga classes, movie night, etc.) – 74.2%
- Permeable paving – 74.0%
- Drip/water-efficient irrigation – 72.4%
- Rain gardens – 71.2%
- Reduced lawn area – 70.8%
- Food/vegetable gardens (including orchards, vineyards, etc.) – 70.5%
- Charging stations (mobile devices) – 70.0%
See the full survey results here.