What’s the hottest trend in residential landscape design, according to the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA)? Fire. Fire pits and fireplaces were the most requested design features in single-family and multifamily projects, followed closely by seating and dining areas. Somewhat of a surprise is a strong consumer interest in wireless connectivity and charging stations for outdoor areas. Apparently, the great outdoors is no escape from our high-tech reality these days.
Among the other top 10 projects requested:
- Native plants – 83.3%
- Native/adapted drought tolerant plants – 83.0%
- Low-maintenance landscapes – 80.0%
- Flexible use space (for yoga classes, movie night, etc.) – 74.2%
- Permeable paving – 74.0%
- Drip/water-efficient irrigation – 72.4%
- Rain gardens – 71.2%
- Reduced lawn area – 70.8%
- Food/vegetable gardens (including orchards, vineyards, etc.) – 70.5%
- Charging stations (mobile devices) – 70.0%
See the full survey results here.